Monday, October 27, 2008

SUIPI, an old persons game?


If you are Samoan, you probably would know this card game. You need a deck of cards that go up to 13 and at least 2 players. There are 23 points in a game.A joker is a 13. 12 points or more will win you the game and this is how you play.
thanks for www.istockphoto.com for the photo

1. Shuffle the deck of cards
2. Put 4 cards flipped up and deal 10 cards to yourself and your opponent
3. The person not dealing goes first. You can pick up a matching card (one on the table and one in your hand) or you can put another numbered card on top of a another numbered card to add up to a card you have in your hand. Example if there is a 4 on the table and you are holding a 9 and a 13, you can put your 9 on top of the 4 to make 13.
4. The dealer gets his turn and he can do the same. Pick up a matching card or pick up the 13 the other person made if he has a 13 or make his own one.
5. When all your 10 cards are finished, the dealer repeats dealing the 10 cards till the pack is finished.
6. Now here is how you get points.

3points = most cards, you need more than 32 cards
1point = most spades, you need more than 8
1point for each ace
1point for 2 of spades only
5points for the 13 of diamonds only
4points foe the 12 of diamonds only
3points for the 11 of diamonds only
2points for the 10 of diamonds only

To get a suipi, you have to pick up the last card or cards in the round before the next deal. This is worth 1 point each and its also the name of the game. These points are extra. Whoever has the most points at the end of the game WINS!

Old persons game, I think not. If you get good at it. I'm up for the challenge. Bring it on!

Hint: To be a good player, you have to have good addition and memory skills

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Leoden.

I know how to play suipi although I haven't played for ages! Maybe you and me can have a game sometime?

I learnt how to play by watching my mum and dad play.

Mr.T.

Anonymous said...

Hi Leoden,

I remember playing in teams. My Dad and I against my Mum and my brother. Was so cool as the whole family could play!

Glad to see the game is still alive and the younger generation is learning it.

Samoans played suipi mostly because they didnt have tvs and cards were cheap to buy or readily available.

Have you heard of MU SAMOA? (Samoan checkers?)

Nice blog and look forward to more on Samoan games.....smile

Matty

Room 18 said...

Hi Mr T

I Am ready for a game any time in the weekends or the School holidays. I won against my mum once and she has been playing for ages and i had only been playing for a week. I dont believe her but she said that she lost on purpose.I am starting to believe her beacause I cant beat my her since that day

Leoden

Sassmo said...

I think some of your math is off on this post...

Papers (3pts) is 27 or more cards.
You only deal 8 cards per hand.
You can only add up to 10, not 13. Face cards can only be picked up by matching face cards.
No jokers.
I've never heard of the 11, 12, or 13 of diamonds - each game should consist of 11 points (plus Suipis).

Kea said...

Yeah, I've played it under different rules too, but I don't see why there wouldn't be variations with different decks.
Good to see you kids picking it up.

Leoden said...

Hi Sassmo, thank you for the comment. There are decks of cards that go up to 13 (64 cards) it makes the game longer and harder. You must play with a deck that goes to 10. You are right about no jokers, but if you buy a deck of cards that has only 2 13s in it, we replace it with jokers and write on it. Try it and post me back if it works for you.

From Leoden